Thursday, March 10, 2005

¡ROADKILL!

The follow is filed under "No Mind, Further proof that the world has..."

Forgive me if I find this amusing. And this saddening. When I see event so fthis nature progress as this one has I move from laughter often to sadness. And I don't know which is more sad. The fact that people are offended by this candy's exsistence, or the fact that someone bothered to make a stink about it.

I'd like to think that often my thoughts contradict the madness I see around me. And it is in this spirit that I purchased a bag of them, if for no other reason that to see for myself how horribly they depict said cruelty to animals.

Now, I know, I know. This posting is a good bit late considering the release date of the story. But after seeing the candies myself, I was reminded of seeing this amoung my news browsing last month. Further, it's been about a month since I went anywhere near the candy section of a convience store, much less in the grocery store. I'd like to think I was trying to lose some weight, and watch what I've been eating, but afterseeing this in passing in one of my employeer's locations, I couldn't pass up an opportunity to at least give the controversail product a first-hand look.


Cartoon-style characters grace the front of the packaging. Not unlike Looney Toons.

In many different colors and shapes, insuring that though they bear likeness to actual animals, they can be readily distinguised from the real thing.

Who doesn't love a bright red flaming snake with tire treds on it?

Hey Meatwad! It's Squirrely!!

It's a gummy product. Not much worse, at least in my opinion, than biting the head off of a gummy bear. I can see the point the New Jersy Animal protectorate is making, but... Since when can kids drive? And if you're letting them run over the cat or dog with their powerwheels, and not at least saying/doing something about it... Well, then you're a bad parent anyway, no?!.

I can say that I find it a good thing that Kraft stopped making these foods at a point before this "society" started investing time and resources into getting them to stop. My problem is the utter waste of energy and resources even threatened on something so trite.

I'm bothered that this trend that seems common in our society. The trend of pushing our opinions on others. By lobbying to change or put in place laws, by mass protest, etc. Don't get me wrong, taking action in the form of Lobbying, Protesting and the like are fine... if the cause is worth that. I personally put a higher value on human life than I do anything else world related. I'm not seeing enough action taken to head of AIDS in Africa, invested in Tsunami Relief, Pro-Adoption rallies, or even solutions to Homelessness. I just think taking action against Kraft foods over something like this is a silly/sad waste of time and effort.

In an effort to make something out of the wasted effort I see on the part of this minor news item, we're planning on selling out a couple of my employers stores and selling the candy online for around $2 a bag. The idea being we're going to donate the proceeds to something worthwhile. Not sure which cause yet. Personally I'd prefer it to be to something with local impact (prehaps City Rescue Mission, that seems like a worthy enough local cause if some oen can't name one better). But if not, then we'll send it on out. I'd seriously appreciate some comments and suggestions on what to focus these funds into. We'll hit everyone with a link once Nette and I get more organized on the subject.

Best Wishes and 013

1 Comments:

Blogger job opportunitya said...

Sensational blog. I took pleasure in the site and I
will go back! Surfing online for blogs like this one
is worth my time.
Please examine my Accounts Receivables Factoring blog as soon as you can.

December 5, 2005 at 1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home